HUWISU | Practical Information

Are you looking for an apartment in Berlin? Are you wondering whether you need a visa or health insurance for the winter and summer courses at Humboldt-Universität? We have compiled the most important information for your smooth stay in Berlin.


You can check if you need a visa for your visit to Germany on the website of the Federal Foreign Office under visa requirements. If you need to apply for a visa, we will be happy to issue an official letter of invitation once HUWISU registration and payment of the full course fee is complete. This can be sent to you by post or e-mail. As this can take some time, we recommend that you register for the HUWISU courses as early as possible.


Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin does not provide student accommodation for participants of short-term programs. To make your journey easier to manage, we support you in your search for adequate housing in Berlin. Once you have been admitted to the program, we will provide recommendations and practical tips that will help you find a decent place to stay for the duration of the program.

The address of Humboldt's main building is Unter den Linden 6, 10117 Berlin. At this point, we would like to mention that Humboldt-Universität is not a typical campus university, meaning the classrooms are in different parts of the city. However, all classrooms are in the district Mitte, and Berlin's public transportation is excellent.

You may want to check out hostels or flats in districts like Schöneberg, Wedding, Kreuzberg, Neukölln, Friedrichshain, or Prenzlauer Berg.

SHARED HOUSING: Since the number of students and internationals staying in Berlin short-term or for an extended period is high, the flat-sharing market is very competitive. Several websites have offerings, and we hope you will find suitable accommodation. After you're admitted to the program, we'll send you more recommendations and addresses to support your search.

For more information about the private accommodation market in Berlin check out this website.


The program fees for the Humboldt Winter and Summer University does not include insurance coverage. All participants must have a health insurance valid in Germany - without such insurance, medical care in Germany can be very expensive. Nationals of some countries must present proof of insurance when applying for a visa. German customs can also request proof of insurance when crossing the border.

In addition to health insurance, we recommend accident and liability insurance. Students are liable for all culpably caused damage.