Practical Information

As an international exchange student in Berlin, you will need accommodation, insurance, and possibly a visa. Find out about these aspects of your study abroad at Humboldt-Universität.


Depending on your nationality, a visa (student visa) may be required. The visa application procedure should be started as soon as possible after the admission to your exchange program or study program. The German Embassies or Consulates in your country of residence issue visas.

It is the students' responsibility to check if a visa is needed to enter Germany. We recommend to visit the homepage of the German Federal Foreign Office and check the Visa regulations.

In the Guide for international students you will find further information on visa application: Visa formalities


To make your search for adequate housing in Berlin easier, Humboldt-Universität has compiled the following recommendations and practical tips for you:


It is necessary to ensure that sufficient insurance coverage is guaranteed throughout your stay in Berlin. For this, it is advisable to check in advance which kind of health insurance cover is needed for the duration and nature of your study abroad. Possibly, proof of health insurance cover is required when applying for a visa. In any case, such documentation is required when enrolling at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.

Every student enrolled at a German university is obliged to have health insurance. If no other proof of health insurance is shown, you must take out statutory health insurance upon matriculation at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. An alternative could be to take out private health insurance for the duration of the stay, which is similar to the benefits of the statutory health insurance.

It is advisable to contact a German health insurance company before you arrive in Berlin and take out suitable health insurance for your stay as a visiting student. Different regulations may apply should you be insured privately in your home country.

More information on this topic can be found in the Guide for international students: