Preparation is crucial if you want to study abroad. For your stay in Berlin you will need accommodation, insurance, and possibly a visa. Find out about the most important steps here.


Depending on your nationality, a visa (student visa) may be required. The visa application procedure should be started as soon as possible after the admission to the program.

A letter of invitation will be issued to support your visa application. It will be sent to you via registered mail. You will furthermore receive an electronic copy of the invitation letter via email. The German Embassies or Consulates in your country of residence issue visas.

It is the students' responsibility to check if a visa is needed to enter Germany. We recommend to visit the homepage of the German Federal Foreign Office and check the Visa regulations.

Humboldt-Universität does not take responsibility for arranging the visa nor for the case of a rejection of the visa application.


Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin does not provide student accommodation for participants of short-term programs. To make the preparation of your journey easier, we support you in your search for adequate housing in Berlin. Recommendations and practical tips will help you to find a decent place to stay for the duration of your study abroad.

You will receive further information after admission to Humboldt Perspectives Study Abroad.


It is necessary to ensure that sufficient insurance coverage is guaranteed throughout your stay in Berlin. For this, it is advisable to check in advance which kind of health insurance cover is needed for the duration and nature of your study abroad. Possibly, proof of health insurance cover is required when applying for a visa. In any case, such documentation is required when enrolling at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin as a student for the HPSA program.

Every student enrolled at a German university is obliged to have health insurance. This applies to you as a visiting student as well. If no other proof of health insurance is shown, you must take out statutory health insurance upon matriculation at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.

An alternative could be to take out private health insurance for the duration of the stay, which is similar to the benefits of the statutory health insurance.

It is advisable to contact a German health insurance company before you arrive in Berlin and take out suitable health insurance for your stay as a visiting student. Different regulations may apply should you be insured privately in your home country.

More information on this topic can be found in the Guide for international students: